Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

This store lets you pay what you can for groceries that would otherwise be tossed

The Real Junk Food Project (RJFP), an organization that combats food waste, recently opened what is calls “the warehouse,” a supermarket in the English town of Pudsey. Unlike your typical grocer, it sells other stores’ surplus food for a “pay as you feel” price, The Independent reports.

Through its supermarket, the group’s goal is to not only prevent edible food from being sent to landfills, but also to provide families in need with a more affordable grocery option, The Huffington Post UK noted.

An investigation by the Evening Standard revealed that supermarkets in the United Kingdom throw out a shocking $299 million worth of edible food a year. Part of the problem is that stores reject food items because there simply isn’t room for it, according to an op-ed written for the BBC by English celebrity chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Another problem, he says, is that large supermarkets try to overstock items so that their shelves never look bare.

“[T]hese big retailers are so big they can afford to sell only a proportion of ‘units’ and discard the rest,” Fearnley-Whittingstall writes. “Waste - hundreds of thousands of tonnes of it - is built into the system.

This is exactly the type of waste RJFP aims to combat. The warehouse, which also serves as the group’s headquarters, stocks the surplus food from a variety of sources including major supermarket chains along with restaurants and other establishments, BBC News reported.

The group also runs a global network of 125 cafes, which serve meals made from food that would’ve otherwise been wasted, RJFP founder Adam Smith told The Guardian. The organization has ended up with so much food, that opening up a supermarket seemed like a natural step in their mission, he explained.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/ent...b0e80b1ba0e6a4

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Odd thing is, food (at least here) can have an expiry date that is way off from when it's actually going to go off. Or it just has a "Quality" date instead (You can still eat it, but it won't be as nice.) And then they just dump it. I knew someone that would get his food by taking it from the bins out the back of the store (Yes it sounds disgusting, but he only took the packaged stuff.) Supposedly that was illegal, because it was still property of the store, and he could get done for shoplifting for that. Bizarre, considering they were binning it.

Stuff would be accepted by quite a few food banks instead of going to the bins.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Odd thing is, food (at least here) can have an expiry date that is way off from when it's actually going to go off. Or it just has a "Quality" date instead (You can still eat it, but it won't be as nice.) And then they just dump it. I knew someone that would get his food by taking it from the bins out the back of the store (Yes it sounds disgusting, but he only took the packaged stuff.) Supposedly that was illegal, because it was still property of the store, and he could get done for shoplifting for that. Bizarre, considering they were binning it.

Stuff would be accepted by quite a few food banks instead of going to the bins.
    Too true. And I hate that argument that they always put up saying they don't want to risk a lawsuit when donating food, as it is simply not true, in Australia and the USA (I'm not sure about the UK) there are laws that prevent any lawsuits against any person or business that donates anything. I don't get why these companies are so determined on wasting food, it doesn't make any sense, especially since they can get good PR out of it too.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Jerry View Post
    Too true. And I hate that argument that they always put up saying they don't want to risk a lawsuit when donating food, as it is simply not true, in Australia and the USA (I'm not sure about the UK) there are laws that prevent any lawsuits against any person or business that donates anything. I don't get why these companies are so determined on wasting food, it doesn't make any sense, especially since they can get good PR out of it too.
    Err, not sure. You can definatley get into a lot of trouble here if you sell/serve food that makes someone sick (hence why the dates are heavilly on the side of caution), but then that would on the food bank/pay-what-you-want cafe/store rather than a grocery store I think. I think selling food thats past the sell by date is illegal (although selling anything after the quality date isn't, because it's technically noy gone off, I think.), but there side seems to claim that what they're doing (not selling it) is not.

But I'm not a legal expert on food hygeine. So don't take my word as gospel.

(There's one going in Australia as well apparently. Doesn't seem to be just in the UK. http://therealjunkfoodproject.org/ca...-in-australia/)
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Err, not sure. You can definatley get into a lot of trouble here if you sell/serve food that makes someone sick (hence why the dates are heavilly on the side of caution), but then that would on the food bank/pay-what-you-want cafe/store rather than a grocery store I think. I think selling food thats past the sell by date is illegal (although selling anything after the quality date isn't, because it's technically noy gone off, I think.), but there side seems to claim that what they're doing (not selling it) is not.

But I'm not a legal expert on food hygeine. So don't take my word as gospel.

(There's one going in Australia as well apparently. Doesn't seem to be just in the UK. http://therealjunkfoodproject.org/ca...-in-australia/)
    I don't mean selling past the used by date. A supermarket here refused to hand over still good food (not past the used by date), that they was throwing away, to a foodbank who offered to take it.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.