Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)

Please help.. info regarding Toronto

I'm hoping to be on a flight to eastern Canada before the end of the month. My first choice is Toronto, but I'm wondering how I would get from the airport to downtown. In Vancouver, where I am, the transit line directly connects our airport to the downtown core and hotels. Is this the same in Toronto? Or will I have to take a cab?

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've lived in Toronto area much of my life. (Was born in Scarborough). I can't quite remember...for me, had to cab it or get a ride. It'd a huge place. from what I could telll tho, TTC does supposedly have routes n' shuttle busses to/from the airport.

It depends on where yer goin' I guess, and Toronto's so huge that could be a million n' one places. I never dealt with DT Toronto myself very much in the 25 years I was there.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for the reply! I'm so happy to find someone familiar with Toronto here.. I was studying a map last night and the downtown core didn't seem THAT big. Are you saying I wouldn't be able to get around downtown on foot? We can get from one end of downtown to the other by foot in Vancouver, and it's great.

I also checked and there is indeed a shuttle service to one of the hotels I might stay at, Eaton Chelsea.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote inane View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply! I'm so happy to find someone familiar with Toronto here.. I was studying a map last night and the downtown core didn't seem THAT big. Are you saying I wouldn't be able to get around downtown on foot? We can get from one end of downtown to the other by foot in Vancouver, and it's great.

I also checked and there is indeed a shuttle service to one of the hotels I might stay at, Eaton Chelsea.
    Oh, no no no no no not on foot. DT Toronto is waaaay too big for that. it's like the size of a bit city itself now I think. You can get to a lot of places via the subway tho. That's how we got from saaay Victoria Park area to places that Bathurst etc

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Well that sucks.. I guess Toronto is a lot bigger than I imagine.

One of the cheaper hotels is on Jarvis street, and another near Shelbourne station. I want to be as centrally-located as possible- what are your thoughts on these locations?

And for context, I'm travelling alone and don't know anyone in Toronto :<

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There's for sure a TTC bus line that runs from the airport to the city, sadly off the top of my head I can't give you much info. I used to live close to Toronto but not in it. I'll do some searching around in the next little bit and see if I can find you some better info!

EDIT

Turns out I may be wrong. The only way I can seem to find is to take the 192 bus to Kipling Station (Bloor/Danforth line), take that east until it meets up with the Yonge/University/Spadina Subway line, and then take that subway southbound to downtown.

Sadly I'm no longer in the area, I'd be glad to help someone out with getting around. I remember how bad getting around Toronto on transit was..

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Oh thankyou so much for doing that for me, GunnyHighway! That's so sweet *hugs*

I tried looking at TTC's website too, and got pretty confused. You're right, it's just a bus that links to the subway... For such an important city to us nationally, it sure is annoying your subway doesn't link from your international airport! Sorry I'm travelling alone, and for the first time out of the Lower Mainland in like a decade so I've been researching a lot. And growing frustrated. Ugh.

Are the attractions downtown reasonably close together (museums, shopping, aquarium, etc.)? Perhaps I have greatly underestimated Toronto's size and ease of getting around :/

Both you and Skippy left town for Alberta- why is that? Did you not like Toronto? I might want to live in there one day, but moving east seems to be the opposite pattern.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I never enjoyed getting around Toronto. It's huge, there's no doubting that, so there's a lot of busses, street cars, and then the subway lines. Typically you're good to get around by the Yonge/University/Spadina subway for the most part, and then a single bus to stretch further east/west if needed.

I used to live in Brampton, which is like Toronto (concrete jungle) minus anything to do for fun. Car insurance is also really really expensive. I was looking at over $8k a year for car insurance due to my age and lack of experience. That and finding jobs in IT is really hard with the amount of people living there. Out west just seems to be a bit slower paced, and there's a lot more outdoors stuff to do. I also managed to find an IT job here, without any post secondary education, in 5 days. Cost of living in Calgary sure is high though.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    I don't drive so car insurance isn't a consideration of mine.. also a reason why living in Alberta is out of the question until I decide to get my license.

That's pretty discouraging to hear.. I love Vancouver but really wanted a change. Choices in Canada are so limited

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Everybody has their likes and dislikes though! Don't take everything I'm saying as hard fact, it's merely my opinion. Sadly the fact that the west has been so saturated with people from the east isn't helping

I think Toronto is a great place for people who like to go out every night and have fun. With no shortage of people there, there's always something going on.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    But without a job or being able to afford a home, there wouldn't be money to partake in the stuff going on >.>

My plans to head to Toronto have been aborted for now, at any rate

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, in Toronto ya really have to be able to afford livin' there. But it's the best place ever! I really miss it very very much...I have to stay in Alberta because right now it's the only province I can afford to live in, but I wouldn't mind goin back to Toronto one day.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's probably a good thing you decided against coming here. Everything is frozen after that ice storm, not that it affects me since I stay indoors all the time

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote infamous View Post
    It's probably a good thing you decided against coming here. Everything is frozen after that ice storm, not that it affects me since I stay indoors all the time
    Haha no kidding! My friend dryly told me over dinner "You're supposed to be in Toronto right now", and I said thankfully not, because of the snow storm. I'm not sure if I would have been able to suck it up enough to enjoy your city..

I still plan to visit Toronto though, sometime in 2014. My life hit a pretty bad turn and I desperately need a change. infamous, do you still live in the city? Do you like it? How do you afford it?

@Skippy Edmonton isn't such a bad place either besides the cold, I think. It sounds so much more affordable. I wouldn't mind living there.

Urgh I should have made a Canadian survey or something 8l

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.