Thread: Where to begin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where to begin

Hi,

I came here after the anxietyspace tumblr liked one of my posts on how my day had been shattered by anxiety. So I decided to come along and see this place for myself.

I've struggled with depression for most of my life and for the last few years have just been "getting on with things", I wouldn't have said I was happy but at the same time wouldn't have called myself depressed. So I got no help, had no medication and just coasted along.

The anxiety hit hard around two months ago. I don't really want to talk about what happened but it was traumatic for me. I was vomiting regularly and at one point didn't eat for two days, I was constantly trembling and my mind was in tatters, even flickering onto the thought of suicide a couple of times in those days.
    It's calmed down a lot since then (and I'm no longer a danger to myself) however I've been left with an almost constant feeling of apprehension, a tension in my stomach and mind that I just can't shake and intrusive thoughts that blur my concentration most of the time. I have gotten help, I am awaiting appointments for Psychotherapy and Occupational Therapy and I've also been on Citalopram for just over a month.

I suppose what I'm looking for here is just... Clarification I guess. Or maybe understanding is a better word. I've diagnosed myself with GAD. I've been reading about the symptoms online and some of them ring true on me for years but I've never considered it to be unusual or a problem until they became as extreme as they are now. I have spoken to my doctor and had a therapist assess me but at no point did they use the term 'anxiety disorder' however they did nod in approval (maybe agreement?) when I used the term.

I think I just want someone to tell me I'm right, that what I'm feeling is real, that this constant dread (for sometimes no reason) isn't just all in my head (well it IS but you know what I mean). That I'm not crazy and I'm not on my own.

Sorry for the rambling, I've had another bad day.

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Hey, Monowheat, welcome to the site.. I hope the "like" didn't come across the wrong way... It wasn't "oh, she's having a bad day.. *like*", but a "I understand that feeling... ".

I had very similar experiences with my GP, who would say "anxiety issues" and not GAD, and agoraphobia. I don't know if it's a "label" thing they don't like.. or if they are unsure...? The medication can take a few months to work and might need to be upped in dosages if it doesn't work, and if it still doesn't help, there are other medications that can help with anxiety. I really hope you start to feel better soon!!

Anxiety can be fear of irrational AND rational issues.. when someone goes through something traumatic, it's somewhat natural for them to have anxiety and worsen affects.

I'm sorry to hear your having another bad day

Welcome to the site I hope you find some support

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Hey there, welcome. I went through a similar thing. Also noticed your UK as well. Hello fellow British person. (Oh, and one thing I've noticed about this countries mental health service is that they don't like handing out labels. But if you want clarification or understanding, ask them.)
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site . You're definitely not alone here. We can all relate on some level here at Anxiety Space. I hope you have some success with your future therapy and meds. You'll have to let us know how it goes for you. I think I was on Citalopram once but it was only for a couple of weeks or so.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Monowheat View Post
    I think I just want someone to tell me I'm right, that what I'm feeling is real, that this constant dread (for sometimes no reason) isn't just all in my head (well it IS but you know what I mean). That I'm not crazy and I'm not on my own.
    It's real. Nobody really understands the feeling of extreme dread of something as little as saying "Hi" to someone, so they assume it's just something we can get over. I can guarantee all of us here know exactly what you're feeling!

Speaking of saying hi, welcome to the site!

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote GunnyHighway View Post
    It's real. Nobody really understands the feeling of extreme dread of something as little as saying "Hi" to someone, so they assume it's just something we can get over. I can guarantee all of us here know exactly what you're feeling!
    ^I completely agree with Gunny here... Anxiety is a very real thing, almost TOO real. It controls peoples' lives way more than it should. It's a really difficult thing to live with and a lot of people don't understand it at all.
    Well, on here, we're all very understanding and supportive. We all "get it" and know what it's like to have such crippling anxiety.
    I'm sure you'll find the support and understanding that you're looking for here
    Welcome, by the way! Glad you joined us!
    Keddy
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to the forum!
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you all for your responses! That really helps.

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There's two things I always say, one pertaining to anxiety the other to suicide:
    that anxiety is always worse in your head than the situation that causes it,
    and that we only live a very short time in this world then as far as we know we probably cease to be entirely, so why
    erase any precious years of life.
    We can always find help, we can always make life better it's all based on the effort put into change, and of course finding
    some healthy support when things get too tough because sometimes there's only so much one can do on their own.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum! You'll find we're a really nice bunch here.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum Monowheat. Some of us, for whatever reason, react to what others might label "normal everyday situations" as if we are in a life threatening situation. We may know logically that this fear is an overreaction but this is occuring at a deeper level, a level that is almost impossible to access or control...or so it seems anyway. For me it feels like my system has been highjacked and is running out of control and all I can do is hang on and ride it out and get it over with so I can get back to a safe place. The problem is the safe place for me is avoidance. And it goes on and on. It's so real and yet it isn't. I haven't solved it yet but, like others have said, it is a real disorder and I hope you find some good ways of coping with it and moving through it to a better place. Take care.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Welcome!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.