Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Curiosity Finds Martian Mountains Taste Acidic

NASA's Curiosity rover has taken a second bite out of its target mountain, this time finding that Mount Sharp can 'taste' a lot more acidic than experts expected.

After perusing around the mountain back in November, Curiosity finally picked out its next most promising drill spot. There, the rover "sunk its teeth" into, so to speak, the rock known as Mojave 2.

The rover tentatively used a new low-percussion-level drilling technique to collect sample powder from the spot - almost like sampling the sauce on your food to determine if you're going to like it.

And what the rover found was that Mojave 2 tasted like nothing it had sampled before.

Back in September, the rover sunk its teeth into a lower outcrop around Mount Sharp called Pahrump Hills, at a spot named "Confidence Hills." That was the drilling robot's first true taste test, but back then NASA's Mars Science Laboratory team saw results that were pretty much expected for the Red Planet's dusty environment - not so for Mojave 2.

"Our initial assessment of the newest sample indicates that it has much more jarosite (an oxidized mineral containing iron and sulfur that forms in acidic environments) than Confidence Hills," David Vaniman, the Deputy Principal Investigator for the Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) instrument on Curiosity, explained in a statement.

more

http://www.natureworldnews.com/artic...ste-acidic.htm
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Why is the rover eating my planet?????!!!! Oh the humanity!!!!
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    The software I test actually designed that rover. It's neat to see what it is accomplishing. The rock powder is gray and almost looks wet!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    The software I test actually designed that rover. It's neat to see what it is accomplishing. The rock powder is gray and almost looks wet!
    That's awesome, Ironman! It must be cool to be a part of some amazing world-wide thing.

I once met a guy who wrote a children's book and just invited him to be at one of our children's programs. I didn't think much of it after that until I found out he was a world-wide doctor directly involved in the first warnings of the Ebola crisis. It's just so weird that you talk to someone who's like a movie guy who saves the planet.

So that's really neat that you get to do stuff like that. It's got to be a cool job, right?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    That's awesome, Ironman! It must be cool to be a part of some amazing world-wide thing.

I once met a guy who wrote a children's book and just invited him to be at one of our children's programs. I didn't think much of it after that until I found out he was a world-wide doctor directly involved in the first warnings of the Ebola crisis. It's just so weird that you talk to someone who's like a movie guy who saves the planet.

So that's really neat that you get to do stuff like that. It's got to be a cool job, right?
    It gets kinda stressful sometimes with deadlines and workload. We have all kinds of customers, not just space - cars, planes, ships, cameras, copiers, etc.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    That's awesome John. I are jelly!
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.