Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

friend of daughter's is being kicked out of home

A friend of my daughter's is probably going to get kicked out of his home. I've posted this before one time when he came home late after not supposed to be out his step-father instructed his siblings to barricade the door. It was 15 degrees outside that particular night and he was only wearing a lightweight hoodie so I didn't want to confront a strange man who I consider abusive so I took the kid home and had him ask his Mother if it was ok to return him home.

I offered to drive him around to fill out job applications. He doesn't have a license. His parents refuse to teach him how to drive. He lives in the middle of the countryside, there is not a lot of employment options here. You need to drive to town.

I noticed a job advertised in the paper and I called him up this afternoon and informed him. His parents have been shutting off the wifi while they are at work. They also shut off the television, by locking the channels and have been known to confiscate the telephone and an old game boy so there is nothing for him to do.

My daughter who is his friend was going out with her girlfriends today, when he calls her and says he is showing up. He filled out several job applications while she was out. We took him home at 9:30. He was not kicked out,but read the riot act. Oh I forgot to mention he is 20. He graduated last year from high school. He tells me he changed schools a lot as a child and different states have different standards of education.

In this young person case and along, I know he'd be better off on his own. He seems to want to leave but not. I've thought about taking him in, but he is such a victim. It's like he has no hope.I've been trying to help him find a job. I know the job market is tight, but he can't seem to find anything.Oh his wiz bang parents are very anti-education for him as well. Apparently, they never had it and neither should he.

Are any of you familiar with any transitioning social services for young people who are on the verge of being tossed out into the street in the state of Pa?
    I'm planning to call around tomorrow. It's so very comforting to know that these people have four more teens to go.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i bet in america there'll be the some kind of service that you can offer, you could get him to move in with you and do housework as a part of his donation to the house rather than paying rent and feeling as though he's doing something. at least until hes got a job, if you take him in i'd recommend doing that so that a) you've got less on your plate and b) your giving him a responsibility and sense of purpose until he gets a job.
    sorry to hear your still struggling with the case i do admire you though for caring so much despite the resistance. you'll be a great reference for him on a CV. maybe speak to a few businesses if they're not hiring get him to ask what he can do to improve (probably already done), volunteering is a great in into a business or to gain more knowledge about a topic

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just going to give a little update on this situation. I called several social service agencies looking to see if our county had transition to adulthood programs. Apparently some states like Maryland and Michigan and Massachusetts have programs for young people without proper parental support that reside in a group home or college dorm like setting where they offer shelter and in return the song person must take educational classes and likeskills classes, driving, budgeting etc. in order to remain with the program. We don't have this program in Pa. They have a service like this if the person is disabled mentally or physically.

However, we did check our career link. For old people this used to be called the "unemployment center." He is now enrolled with them and in order to have a personal case manager he needs to take some of their workshops. In order to be eligible for any company specific training programs that may be offered he needs to attend the workshops. I said you are doing this. Now of course, I have to drive him to these. I know his parents are struggling financially, but to be so uninterested in the process.

We met a case manager who helped him create a resume and informed him of a job interview so we registered him for that. I advised him to get his hair straighten up. He has been cutting it himself and he had these straggly pieces. His Aunt is a stylist and cut it and she kept it unique looking but you can tell it is a style so he looked way better to me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so finally after a few months of job searching. He was offered a job with a temp. agency for a factory that makes tubes, like hand lotion containers etc. However, today, the temp. agency called very sorry, but that job doesn't exist. He was so pumped up about having a job and then this. I honestly feel like calling them up and chewing them out. His step-father I consider to be one of the most evil people I have ever encountered. I have yet to see any redeeming quality with this person. His step-father has been on his case about having me help him find a job. I've just been giving him a lift to the unemployment center once a week and to fill out job applications once a week that is it.

I don't know what to say or do. Right now they are treating this kid like a slave. He does the bulk of the housework, yard work etc. I do understand working for your keep, but, for instance he met a friend from school and she invited him to a birthday party. He wasn't allowed to go. He's not allowed to go to youth group which is a bunch of teens and young adults that hang out in a church basement.

I do not like the way this kid is being treated. However, where can he go other than join the ranks of the homeless?

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.