Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this typical of anxiety?

Hi all im new, hope im posting in the right place. Nov 14 I was diagnosed with general anxiety and agrophobia. Basically I was afraid to go outside after 12 noon because I was convinconvinced I would die or be in an accident. Im getting over that now and will go out at anytime but only in the car. Anyway I have had heart palpitations for years (skipped beats) had it all checked out and learned to live with them. Well this week I had a run of then one after the other. I felt a strange vibration in the left of my chest accompanied by a slow, irregular, forseful heartbeat. To say it frightened me is an understatement. It lasted about 60 seconds and took my breath. Once it stopped my heart was racing. It has happened 4 times in the last 3 days. I have a doctors appointment in the morning. But im scared there is somthing really wrong and they are going to brush it off as anxiety. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it anxiety? TIA and looking forward to getting to know you all

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty typical of an anxiety or panic attack to me. When I'm feeling extremely anxious I get an elevated heart rate and what feel like irregular or unusually heavy beats, as well as a general "sinking" feeling in my chest.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I'm glad you're getting that checked out. That sounds scary.

I've heard of panic attacks causing palpatations. It could well be that you're expierencing one of those.

I hope the doctors appointment goes okay. If you're concerned that they are brushing it off as anxiety in any way, get a second opinion.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah, yes, of course it's always good to make sure it's not a purely physical problem before deciding that it's a physical symptom of a psychological problem.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In general, one event like this is not abnormal. I have generalized anxiety and have had palpatations that pound so hard I think my heart will explode. My brother on the other hand actually has structural problems with his heart causing him to be in heart failure for over a year and a half so far. His palpatations cause his anxiety. He's always afraid that the next skipped beat or palpatation will be a heart attack. You could ask your doctor for an ekg but if your heart rhythm is normal most of the time it won't help much. And honestly there isn't really anything they can do for palpatations I don't think. Take low deep breaths when it happens to try and slow your heart rate back down and you'll feel better

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.