Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Ancient Yellowstone Supervolcano Eruptions 'Significantly Larger' Than Previously Tho

Is the Yellowstone Supervolcano part of a volcanic system that was much larger and violent between eight and 12 million years ago? That is the latest question following the discovery of 12 giant super-eruptions around the Snake River Plain.

"While it is well-know that Yellowstone has erupted catastrophically in recent times, perhaps less widely appreciated is that these were just the latest in a protracted history of numerous catastrophic super-eruptions that have burned a track along the Snake River eastwards from Oregon to Yellowstone from 16 Ma to present," explained Tom Knott, one of the study researchers from the University of Leicester's Department of Geology's Volcanology Group.

Knott and colleagues Mike Branney and Marc Reichow led an international team of researchers in studying eruption deposits that are believed to have originated from the central Snake River Plain - a prominent depression stretching 400 miles across southern Idaho.

Based on whole-rock and mineral chemistries, palaeomagnetic data, and radio-isotopic dating, researchers identified 12 giant super-eruptions thought to have occurred between 8 and 12 million years ago. In theory, these eruptions could be larger than the colossal eruptions known to have taken place at Yellowstone.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/191964/...ly-thought.htm
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I always found this place really interesting
    life---> <---me

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.