Page 10 of 288 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 210 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Talk

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Daniel C View Post
    The lady speaks English with a faultless accent. "You are lucky, the next scheduled flight to Seoul from Charles de Gaulle airport will be this evening at 7 PM. If you take the 12:30 flight to Paris you can still catch it. I can book you the last two seats economy class, next to the window. The flight will take approximately twelve hours, you'll arrive at about 12 AM local time. Shall I book it?"
    "Yes, that sounds perfect."
    "Okay... single flight to Seoul, stopover at Paris, two tickets economy class... that'll be... 1260 euros. Do you have a credit card?"
    So far, I hadn't considered the option this adventure would have any financial implications. I turn to the French girl. "I think it's fair to share the costs, don't you?"
    "Well, regarding the fact that my family was devoured by a swarm of flying fish whereas you still have two parents to financially rely on, I'd say it's only fair if you pay for the lion's share of the expenses."
    "Of course you don't know my parents, but I can tell you if I'd come to them to ask if they can pay for a double ticket from Barcelona to Seoul that I had to purchase as a part of an operation to prevent the world from falling into the hands of blood thirsty extraterrestrials, I don't think they'd give in."
    "But it was you who started this entire odyssee whereas I was just dragged along, so I'd say the responsibility for the expenses also lies in your hands as well."
    "But you chose to join in out of free will."
    "Well, seeing as I'm only a character in your story, I doubt if I was really free to choose in the first place."
    "Doesn't the fact that we're having a disagreement right now indicate that you have the free option to deviate from the course of my narration?"
    "Do you know that modern neuroscientists claim free will is really an illusion and we're all driven by chemical factors?"
    "Well, as Daniel Dennett convincingly demonstrated, there is no necessary collission between chemical determinism and free will."
    "I don't have a credit card with me."
    "Touche."
    As the paying machien swallows my fictional credit card, my thoughts go out to my grandmother, and how I am going to explain to her my money went out to two transcontinental flight tickets. But I have to put the greater good over my personal concerns.

The custom officer shows some deep suspicion over the crystal orb that I have tucked into a plastic back I always carry with me for case of emergency, but finally he finds himself unable to come up with any concrete objections and lets us pass reluctantly. We take place in two seats in the large white arrival hall.
    "We're flying over your capital. Did you go there a lot?"
    "Yes, my aunt lives in an appartment near the Rue de l'Odeon. We went to visit her a lot. It's a shame we don't have time to leave the airport, otherwise I could pay her a visit. She must be under the hypothesis the fish killed me as well..."
    "Wait - you just said all of your family got killed in the fish disaster?"
    "That was for the sake of the argument. And anyway, you don't mean to say I shouldn't complain because only my father was killed, do you?"
    I still find myself unable to deal with her temperament. "No, of course not, it's only... I'm sorry."
    An awkward silence follows, disturbed by the jubilations of reunited families, the sobs of mothers saying goodbye, the agitation of people preparing for their holidays. She finally resumes: "Daniel, if we finally have found the fourth orb, what are we going to do then?"
    The question arouses a surreptitious uncertainty inside me. "I don't... I mean, the queen will know. She know everything."
    "And what if the queen is just sending us all over the planet to conceal the fact that she personally doesn't have any idea what should happen? I mean, why would us possessing the crystal orbs stop the aliens from invading the earth?"
    Her turquoise eye always carries most suspicion.
    "Did you see her? I mean, did you look at her? She just was... in harmony. She knows what should happen. You can just see it."
    The girl wants to say something more but to my relief her words are drowned by the voice of a female robot filling the hall. Els passatgers de ParĂ*s s'aconsella anar a la porta en el seu bitllet. Los pasajeros de ParĂ*s se aconseja ir a la puerta en su billete. Passengers for Paris are advised to head to the gate on your ticket.
    "Let's go," I say. "There is no place for doubt in this story. Doubt is a chemical defect found in the losing side."
    "You didn't come up with that yourself."
    "Says who?"
    "I don't know. I don't watch a lot of American movies."
    "It's from a British tv series."
    "I don't watch those either."
    "You'd better start to. It can come in very handy whenever you're stuck in a conversation."
    "I'm losing track of this conversation."
    "I'm afraid the reader is too. Let's just stop talking and proceed to our next destination. Seoul. Back to where it all started."
    I absolutely love these two characters. Their arguments are hilarious! This excerpt made me laugh. A great way to start my day.

I do have a question though. If I tried to get on a plane from Dallas with a glowing orb, I would be strip searched down to my toes. If it was in my pocket the xray machine would show it as I swallowed it and I would be on some secret airport operating table, while airport security people would be trying to extract it while wearing bomb squad gear. Are French airports just a bit more lenient at the airport security station?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

RawrJessiRawr's Avatar Rawr and stuff 🦕
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    SleepySleepy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    what if curiosity didnt kill the cat?? =^.^=

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote RawrJessiRawr View Post
    what if curiosity didnt kill the cat?? =^.^=
    Maybe we should get an autopsy?

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Cornbread master puppeteers. I call on thee to coalesce into the grand Samsung of our time!
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Jcgrey View Post
    Cornbread master puppeteers. I call on thee to coalesce into the grand Samsung of our time!
    Um. Should I kneel or something?

Let me know when that Samsung coalesces. I might want to see that in action.

And did you know that I have a mouse puppet named Cheddar who emails me? I wish this was crazy talk, but sadly it isn't. Cheddar and I used to fight all the time at work because he never wanted to work for his pay of cheese its. He retired when a co-worker retired. Since then, Cheddar has gone more places on vacation than I have blades of grass. And he emails me all his vacation pictures with his little outfits on his trips.

I always try to make his vacations a little more exciting by giving him tips. Like when he was on a road trip, I suggested he lean waaaaaayyyy out the window under the overpasses to watch the tires spin. I also told him that bottle rockets shoot better if he holds them in his paw until they go off.

Damned mouse!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    What the pigeons on the wire discuss during morning traffic?

Am I close?

How many points is this question?
    It's actually the alerts put out by the TCAS (or the traffic collision avoidance system) found on most aircraft. When two aircraft are too close for comfort, the TCAS in both aircraft goes off with an alert "Traffic, traffic.", if the aircraft are still on a collision course the TCAS in one aircraft will tell the pilots to descend while the other TCAS in the other plane will tell them to climb, "Descend, descend." for the former and "Climb, climb." for the latter. When a collision is avoid the TCAS will advice "Clear of conflict". Interesting thing is if there is a conflict between what TCAS says to do and what Air Traffic Controllers says, pilots are trained to ignore Air Traffic Controllers and follow TCAS instructions.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Joker;188139]It's actually the alerts put out by the TCAS (or the traffic collision avoidance system) found on most aircraft. When two aircraft are too close for comfort, the TCAS in both aircraft goes off with an alert "Traffic, traffic.", if the aircraft are still on a collision course the TCAS in one aircraft will tell the pilots to descend while the other TCAS in the other plane will tell them to climb, "Descend, descend." for the former and "Climb, climb." for the latter. When a collision is avoid the TCAS will advice "Clear of conflict". Interesting thing is if there is a conflict between what TCAS says to do and what Air Traffic Controllers says, pilots are trained to ignore Air Traffic Controllers and follow TCAS instructions.

That's just crazy talk!

Everybody knows that air traffic controllers duck and scream, "Maverick!" when the pilot strafes the tower.

Oh wait. That might be from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Never mind.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I thought I thought a few thoughts, but after thinking about it, I think I just won't think. Think so?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    No I think you might be wrong.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    But I thought my thoughts were what I was thinking. But after hearing what you think, I think my thoughts might need more thinking.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mark Zuckerberg had known better moments in his life. Being tied with seaweed inside a moisty cellar several miles below sea level could hardly be called a particular acme, especially in the light of his recent status as Governor of Planet 363c, as the extraterrestrials called earth. The most annoying thing was that he couln't even remember what had happened: he'd been at the verge of finishing off his duty when something had hit his head with incredible force, followed by a lengthy period of blackness that had finally dissolved in this uninviting chamber. Also, his orb was gone.
    The dungeon was rather spacious, but that was all that could be said about it. Except for the granite bench that he was both sitting on and tied to, there was no furniture to be seen. The only light came seeping in through the corroded bars, and it could hardly be called light, but rather some kind of syrupy liquid that, not very succesfully, attempted to pass as light. He couldn't even see what was in the dark alcoves that spread on both side, though presumably there was nothing at all. And then there was the seaweed bending his arms into an unnatural position. Mark had never known there was seaweed so strong you couldn't break it. He figured it might be stronger than the bars, that seemed like a single blast could break them like match sticks. Maybe that was why he was tied in the first place.
    Suddenly a controlled rumble arose, the light grew brighter and less viscose, and before he knew a woman stood on the other side of the bars. Her appearance instantly made the memory of his three hundred and thirty two girlfriends fade into mere insignificance. Using his telepacy, the only instrument that was left to him -apparently the orbs were still obeying him- he noticed, with something that, in different circumstances, could have been a shock, that the lady was just like the extraterrestrial, and like himself, that her thoughts, as well, were not limited to the borders of her own cognition.
    "Good morning Mark. My name is HRM Azalia VII, daughter of Neptune XLIV, son of Tristan XVII, descendant of the great Neptune I; by the grace of the gods, Atlantis, and all living creatures below sea level; countes of Crete; duchess of Santorini; defender of wealth, prosperity and all maritime matters; et cetera, et cetera."
    He later couldn't remember wether she actually spoke the words or just sent them to him directly from her mind; it didn't really matter anyway.
    "Good morning. My name is Mark Zuckerberg and I demand to be released immediately. You have no right to detain an American citizen."
    Mark himself was impressed by his articulate reaction, and, when he felt the amazement take possession of her body, he also felt a great stroke of satisfaction. Even a luminous fairytale queen wouldn't be able to abase him, Mark Zuckerberg, Governor of Planet 363c.
    "You committed -or were on the verge of committing- a crime on our territory. We have the right to detain you."
    "I never did anything illegal. And anyway, there is no reason to keep me in these degrading circumstances. If you'll ever release me I'll utter a former complaint at the UN and..."
    "Listen, Mark. We both know why you're here. Let's no longer turn around the point. We cannot let you go as long as you are intending to hand down our planet's faith to the wims of a capricious alien species."
    The incorruptable equilibrium on her face started to get on Mark's nerves. "Of course, that's what I've been doing. Surrendering to some evil alien planet. Do you know how hard I've been working, all these years, to preserve the very balance of this planet? When I came into office all those years ago this place was a total mess. There were wars, and crises, and terrorist attacks. It was a mess. The only thing the extraterrestrials asked from me was to restore peace and tranquility here. They wanted nothing in return. Okay, I'll grant things aren't ideal yet. The financial crisis was hard to foresee. But I did my best, and gradually, things are improving. So who are you to claim what I did was wrong?"
    "I don't only claim so, Mark. I know. I know because we've been in the same position. For millennia we carried out the extraterrestrials' orders. We brought balance to this place - just like you. But when we were finally done - when the world was at the verge of reaching absolute tranquility - they showed off their real intentions. Mark, it is not too late to see your errancy. You couldn't know in the first place, so I won't hold anything against you. But you must choose now. If you decide to join us, you can be of invaluable importance. You may even signify the difference between slavery or independence for the billions of inhabitants of this planet."
    At that moment, Mark might have cracked - he might have fallen for her symmetrical face and crystal voice, were it not for two reasons. The first one was the recollection of the extraterrestrial, the ease and impeccable gentleness with which he had always discoursed. The thought that such a being would have any sinister schemes was simply absurd. The second reason was a sudden cramp cannoning through his back, in between his arms that were twisted by the steel seewead strings. No enlightened being would keep him, Mark Zuckerberg, in such conditions, however esthetically perfect her face might be.
    "I can feel that you will not join us then, Mark. So be it. We cannot release you. I'll send someone down to bring you some food - and to discharge your arms a bit."
    A silence followed while Mark waited for her to go away while she didn't go away. As the second clustered together in minutes, he felt a peculiar voltage rise in between him and the lady, through the bars, through the opaque light rays.
    "Or maybe I'll fix that last thing myself."
    She put out a silvergreen key from somewhere beneath her garment. The door creaked open with a sound that hung in the air for more then seven seconds. When she finally resurrected her face, Mark could see it. Feel it. She had been living alone without any youthful male company for thousands of years.
    "Let me ease those skeins for you. They're cutting into your skin."
    Mark had read the Odyssey. Circe. Calypso. He had to be cold-blooded. The potent vegetable fell of his wrists. In a second, he elevated them, turned around, had her pinned against the wall.
    "What are you doing? I wanted to..."
    "I've just discovered the only way to outmanoeuvre a telepathic being. Thank you for the insight. I cannot stay to finish the deed, unfortunately."
    "You're a..."
    "I've got better things to do than stay in this subaquatic township serving as the object of a queen's bottled up passions. Why not try a gigolo? They're very cheap these days."
    And with the vigour of his 28 years, Mark headed through the exit, slammed the grille, and turned back the key that was still sticking out. Leaving the queen in a well-deserved bewilderment, he mounted the mossy stairs, while in his head an orchestra was playing the Captain Jack Sparrow theme. Freedom. It had never tasted this way before.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Ahh the Kraken stole my cornmeal punch in the midst of my ever reminiscent cushioning of the knees of a cat. Like a gyroscope telling it which way is up.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Daniel C View Post
    Mark Zuckerberg had known better moments in his life. Being tied with seaweed inside a moisty cellar several miles below sea level could hardly be called a particular acme, especially in the light of his recent status as Governor of Planet 363c, as the extraterrestrials called earth. The most annoying thing was that he couln't even remember what had happened: he'd been at the verge of finishing off his duty when something had hit his head with incredible force, followed by a lengthy period of blackness that had finally dissolved in this uninviting chamber. Also, his orb was gone.
    The dungeon was rather spacious, but that was all that could be said about it. Except for the granite bench that he was both sitting on and tied to, there was no furniture to be seen. The only light came seeping in through the corroded bars, and it could hardly be called light, but rather some kind of syrupy liquid that, not very succesfully, attempted to pass as light. He couldn't even see what was in the dark alcoves that spread on both side, though presumably there was nothing at all. And then there was the seaweed bending his arms into an unnatural position. Mark had never known there was seaweed so strong you couldn't break it. He figured it might be stronger than the bars, that seemed like a single blast could break them like match sticks. Maybe that was why he was tied in the first place.
    Suddenly a controlled rumble arose, the light grew brighter and less viscose, and before he knew a woman stood on the other side of the bars. Her appearance instantly made the memory of his three hundred and thirty two girlfriends fade into mere insignificance. Using his telepacy, the only instrument that was left to him -apparently the orbs were still obeying him- he noticed, with something that, in different circumstances, could have been a shock, that the lady was just like the extraterrestrial, and like himself, that her thoughts, as well, were not limited to the borders of her own cognition.
    "Good morning Mark. My name is HRM Azalia VII, daughter of Neptune XLIV, son of Tristan XVII, descendant of the great Neptune I; by the grace of the gods, Atlantis, and all living creatures below sea level; countes of Crete; duchess of Santorini; defender of wealth, prosperity and all maritime matters; et cetera, et cetera."
    He later couldn't remember wether she actually spoke the words or just sent them to him directly from her mind; it didn't really matter anyway.
    "Good morning. My name is Mark Zuckerberg and I demand to be released immediately. You have no right to detain an American citizen."
    Mark himself was impressed by his articulate reaction, and, when he felt the amazement take possession of her body, he also felt a great stroke of satisfaction. Even a luminous fairytale queen wouldn't be able to abase him, Mark Zuckerberg, Governor of Planet 363c.
    "You committed -or were on the verge of committing- a crime on our territory. We have the right to detain you."
    "I never did anything illegal. And anyway, there is no reason to keep me in these degrading circumstances. If you'll ever release me I'll utter a former complaint at the UN and..."
    "Listen, Mark. We both know why you're here. Let's no longer turn around the point. We cannot let you go as long as you are intending to hand down our planet's faith to the wims of a capricious alien species."
    The incorruptable equilibrium on her face started to get on Mark's nerves. "Of course, that's what I've been doing. Surrendering to some evil alien planet. Do you know how hard I've been working, all these years, to preserve the very balance of this planet? When I came into office all those years ago this place was a total mess. There were wars, and crises, and terrorist attacks. It was a mess. The only thing the extraterrestrials asked from me was to restore peace and tranquility here. They wanted nothing in return. Okay, I'll grant things aren't ideal yet. The financial crisis was hard to foresee. But I did my best, and gradually, things are improving. So who are you to claim what I did was wrong?"
    "I don't only claim so, Mark. I know. I know because we've been in the same position. For millennia we carried out the extraterrestrials' orders. We brought balance to this place - just like you. But when we were finally done - when the world was at the verge of reaching absolute tranquility - they showed off their real intentions. Mark, it is not too late to see your errancy. You couldn't know in the first place, so I won't hold anything against you. But you must choose now. If you decide to join us, you can be of invaluable importance. You may even signify the difference between slavery or independence for the billions of inhabitants of this planet."
    At that moment, Mark might have cracked - he might have fallen for her symmetrical face and crystal voice, were it not for two reasons. The first one was the recollection of the extraterrestrial, the ease and impeccable gentleness with which he had always discoursed. The thought that such a being would have any sinister schemes was simply absurd. The second reason was a sudden cramp cannoning through his back, in between his arms that were twisted by the steel seewead strings. No enlightened being would keep him, Mark Zuckerberg, in such conditions, however esthetically perfect her face might be.
    "I can feel that you will not join us then, Mark. So be it. We cannot release you. I'll send someone down to bring you some food - and to discharge your arms a bit."
    A silence followed while Mark waited for her to go away while she didn't go away. As the second clustered together in minutes, he felt a peculiar voltage rise in between him and the lady, through the bars, through the opaque light rays.
    "Or maybe I'll fix that last thing myself."
    She put out a silvergreen key from somewhere beneath her garment. The door creaked open with a sound that hung in the air for more then seven seconds. When she finally resurrected her face, Mark could see it. Feel it. She had been living alone without any youthful male company for thousands of years.
    "Let me ease those skeins for you. They're cutting into your skin."
    Mark had read the Odyssey. Circe. Calypso. He had to be cold-blooded. The potent vegetable fell of his wrists. In a second, he elevated them, turned around, had her pinned against the wall.
    "What are you doing? I wanted to..."
    "I've just discovered the only way to outmanoeuvre a telepathic being. Thank you for the insight. I cannot stay to finish the deed, unfortunately."
    "You're a..."
    "I've got better things to do than stay in this subaquatic township serving as the object of a queen's bottled up passions. Why not try a gigolo? They're very cheap these days."
    And with the vigour of his 28 years, Mark headed through the exit, slammed the grille, and turned back the key that was still sticking out. Leaving the queen in a well-deserved bewilderment, he mounted the mossy stairs, while in his head an orchestra was playing the Captain Jack Sparrow theme. Freedom. It had never tasted this way before.
    So let me get this straight! Was Facebook Mark's plan to bring peace to the world? I'm not sure that plan is working although I see he had good intentions. He's definitely the Jack Sparrow Indiana Jones kind of guy though. And what's with these underwater beings? They have some real issues. Don't they have like gods of the sea or something? Where's Neptunus? Maybe some Mermen? It just seems like besides the whole "saving the earth from the aliens" thing, they have some real frustrations in the social department. Your story chapters are so great! I love reading your installments. Action packed with your quirky humor.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Jcgrey View Post
    Ahh the Kraken stole my cornmeal punch in the midst of my ever reminiscent cushioning of the knees of a cat. Like a gyroscope telling it which way is up.
    I just have to ask. Is cornmeal punch gritty?

Cats have knees??!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    Cats have knees??!

Indeed, and so do the bees!

Page 10 of 288 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 210 ... LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.