Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doing it all backwards...

Hello,

I am a single mother of two girls going through a rough time with anxiety. I am fairly new to the anxiety party and how I got here is rather backwards. I never really dealt with anxiety other than the normal, wow, this is tough stuff I am feeling anxious. Or I have a big test or job interview in the morning, I am a bit anxious. But it was always the functional, good kind. I had tough things happen in life and never had a panic attack. Then things changed...drastically.

I have a long complicated story, but basically I was given benzos post op. Then again and again for drug side effects. I kept being told I had GAD and panic disorder but what I had was normal med side effects that no Dr put together. Well I ended up having to taper myself off Klonopin and I found out what anxiety and panic really felt like. I am one of the lucky few that has protracted benzo withdrawal. One of the worst things it has given me is anxiety. I had my first panic attack about a week after getting off Klonopin and it was like it opened pandora's box.

I have a lot of stress in my life now. Which is I am sure adding to things. At this point I do not know if my anxiety is still benzo withdrawal, which some tell me it certainly is. Or if it is an anxiety disorder or PTSD, both of which I have since been diagnosed with since being on benzos. So that's why I am all backwards. I didn't have anxiety until I was given and anti-anxiety med.

At any rate, I am trying to deal with the anxiety in the best med free ways I can. I am doing whatever I can to get past this. My heart goes out to those of you that have suffered with this for years. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Any and all support will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Maribella

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forums, Maribella! =]

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Hey Maribella ,

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Anxiety is definitely part of the deal. I feel for you.

Sometimes doctors will use something like neurontin (a non-benzo anxiolytic) to help with the anxiety, or switch you to diazepam, which is longer-lasting and a bit easier to taper off of. Also investigate getting some Clonidine. This is non-addicting, and can help take the edge off withdrawals. It won't have the same effect as benzos, but may help you delay when you resort to benzos.

In any case, the backlash anxiety is most likely to go away. Have you talked to the doctor about this an explained you didn't have a problem with this prior?

If you want to go by this the natural way; you could try talking to a therapist for CBT, or natural remedies such as Supplements, nutrition, exercise, ect. A lot of different things are meant to help anxiety.

Chamomile tea personally helps me a lot.
    Blessed Be, in both Light and Darkness.
    ♥¥ Love and Light☮☼

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Hello, Maribella!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Welcome, Maribella

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome Maribella, it was good to know your story and I'm sure you can relate to many of us on this site!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forums!

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Welcome!!!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.