Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too anxious to go the Gym

I bought a gym membership ages ago.

I'm too anxious to go.

I stopped taking my anti depressants ages ago after the doctor asked if they were working and i accidentally said yes so I haven't been back since.

I bought the gym membership and intended to go, I go to the doors of the gym once but never managed to go inside. This makes me feel really depressed too.

I've had bad experiences at gyms before and I can tell myself now that everything will be ok but it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any advice?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    How many times have I been a situation like that? It's horrible.

Perhaps you can go along one day not with the intention of using the gym, but just looking around or visiting. Tell yourself that if anything goes wrong you'll leave, immeadiatley. If you have a bad expierence, then leave.

And I'd consider going back to your doc and telling him you're not taking your meds and they aren't working
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hmm I used to use the ipod all the way to get there and use it inside. I daydream though so probably not as helpful. Id suggest downloading a motivating speech or record yourself saying something comforting and play it on the ipod if you have one.

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What are some of your biggest fears about working out at a gym? I'm not sure I can give you advice on making the first visit, but I can tell you that everyone who goes to the gym is looking to exercise and are mainly worried about themselves, not others.

I'm a gym rat and I've been living at the gym for many years. I don't pay any attention to anybody whatsoever, because the gym is really "me" time (as vain as it may sound!). I've seen many different kinds of people of all sizes and shapes, and everyone always minds their own business. But if you're a major douchebag or abusing the equipment and showing off (injury proned), you might be attracting more unwanted attention.

Its always nice to be seeing new faces at the gym, because it always should be about you and not what other people are doing. Self-improvement is a very positive thing. I hope you can make the trip and become a regular!

Oh and my other humble advice is to get a trainer if you can afford it. The gym that I go to had a free trainer session and I learned how to use some of the equipment to get over the initial fear of not knowing how to use anything.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I stopped going just because of the driving distance and bought some home equipment.

But back when I did go, I would immerse myself in the music and ignore mostly everything around me. In fact, I noticed lots of people do this very same thing.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know how it feels, but you have to remember that for the most part nobody in the gym is even paying attention to other people there. Most people are there to get their workout done and leave. If you actually look around you'll see that nobody is even looking at you.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret"

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with all these comments. I feel very self-conscious when I'm at the gym. I always feel that people are comparing me to others, when in fact, I'm comparing myself to others. The hot bodies others. That was when I was 220 lbs., now I'm 130 lbs. and still feel a little self-conscious but I use my ipod and just focus on the music and keeping my form right. I have found that the people who work at my gym are very helpful with the machines, as are several of the people that workout there a lot.

I also try to go when the gym may be the least busy. I can't tell by your name if you are female or not, but if you are, there are several gyms that have female workout areas only and there are gyms that are female members only. I also have home work out equipment but I just don't have the same discipline unless I go to the gym.

Good luck.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Grab a friend and go there together. This is the best solution. This way you will not feel alone or ashamed anyhow.
    Happy girls are the most beautiful girls.

xxxxx
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It boggles my mind why people go to gyms (probably good marketing). I have never set a foot in a gym in my life and I never will.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I run the streets...I have never been to a gym.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I usually go early in the morning or late at night, when it's not too crowded. I also get a bit self-conscious when using equipment I'm not familiar with, so when I started I only used things that I knew how to use, and observed other people using equipment I didn't know how to use. For the most part people leave each other alone at the gym and are pretty absorbed in their workout and distracted by their music. Gyms like planet fitness are good because they don't tolerate a whole lot of noise/commotion. Most people there don't talk a whole lot. Take baby steps, before you know it you may feel comfortable at the gym - and then other places.

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm anxious every time I go to the gym, but I still go. The benefit outweighs the discomfort, as is true with most things that make me feel anxious. :/ It helps if I take my glasses off, so I can't see all the meat heads around.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would rather do just about anything than go to a gym. D:
    You couldn't pay me to go there.

Just purchase a yoga mat and some cheap equipment and work out at home instead.
    By equipment, I mean like a jump rope and some weights.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I like running when it gets dark outside - it is fun and no one made out who you are yay! I also like swimming but fear people watching me, but I kept going and it got less and less problematic. I joined a new swimming pool and I am anxious to begin with but it will die down. Try and keep going!!
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have no problem going to the gym... BUT... it's so uncomfortable working out around other people I always do my stretches and such in this part of the gym where there's not a whole lot of people usually. But then more and more people have discovered it (especially since it's next to the racquetball courts), so it ticks me off a bit when I'm stretching or doing squats and a bunch of people come over... even just one person coming over makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.