Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)

Beef flavoured Prozac

Saw this, and I could not work out if it was serious or not. http://newint.org/columns/seriously/.../01/seriously/

Yes, Eli Lilly and Co have just won US Food and Drug Administration approval to sell its over-prescribed, selective serotonin-reuptake-inhibiting, drinking-water-contaminating, best-selling drug ProzacTM to depressed dogs. Repackaged into a chewable, beef-flavoured pill to be called ReconcileTM, it is designed to treat ‘separation anxiety’. This is the medicalized term for leaving your pet alone for extended periods of time. Dogs, being very social pack animals, mysteriously can’t cope well with solitude. But now negligent dog owners the world over can rejoice. Just one happy pill with breakfast and Spot will be as happy as a lamb in Spring.
    So supposedly, Reconcile is supposed to stop dogs suffering from seperation anxiety...especially puppies...from chewing, peeing on the carpet, whining or barking when they're human owners are away. The same arguments however, used by people who are against the usage of antidepressant medications such as Prozac with children.

Is "seperation Anxiety" a myth perpetrated by the pharmaceutical industry to generate profits? And will there be a small percentage of dogs were experience side effects such as hallucinations and psychosis?

Whatever it is...still, where can I get some of this flavoured medication? Seriously. The casing on mine tastes...yuck.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think separation anxiety is a myth, but at the same time I can't see giving prozac to a dog. It just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. :-/

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I don't think it's a myth either. I've seen puppies act the way the article describes. I don't think they need Prozac though either.

It's interesting though that there's a whole range of pets out there on psychiatric drugs for various mental health conditions. This is from the daily mail (Crappy british news paper that claims that breathing oxygen with cause you to develop cancer, that anyone who's an immigrant should be rounded up and shot, and society is really degenerating today with all these lazy beggars on benefits, who happen to be polish immigrants, apparently), but http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-Prozac.html

It was a classic case of clinical depression.
    The patient would not go out for fear of being bullied, moped around the house and sought comfort in eating.
    Eventually there was nothing for it. Twiglet the cat had to be put on Prozac.

The 12-year-old grey tabby, whose weight had ballooned to 15lb, became one of the first pets in Britain to be given anti-depressant drugs, on the advice of a vet who said she had 'anger management issues'.
    And the results have been dramatic. Five months later, Twiglet has lost almost 7lb and is roaming around the back garden without fear.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.