Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

severe bout of shyness how to stop it

This is a strange question and there probably is no good answer. Sometimes I get struck by unusual bouts of shyness, maybe I don't like the person I'm having to deal with or they intimidate me for some un-know reason, but when it starts I find it extremely hard to speak at all. I've had this for about as long as I've been alive so you would think by now maybe I would have a better coping technique. I've tried waiting it out and then I can get some one or two words out, but it's very stiff and unnatural. The worst thing is its usually someone I really dislike so I only give them more reason to dislike me. When one of these bouts comes on, I assume most of you already kind of know what I'm talking about what is the best way to cope? Can it be stopped or does that cause more problems? Sometimes I am able to practice the breathing exercises I've read about. The last one of these I've had was surprise and severe. I eventually was able to talk to this person somewhat normally, but only about the work at hand and when I was leaving, which god only knows what they thought?

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes I know. It happens to me when I'm getting bad vibes from someone, especially if I can tell they're judgmental and sizing me up. Anything I do or say comes out forced or unnatural, so I end up mute and basically shut down. It's pretty awful. I don't know how to cope with this at the moment either.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    yeah

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was hoping someone would have a good answer. I'm remembering a specific incident, yesterday. It happened so fast I didn't have time to try thought stopping, calm down breathing techniques, nothing. I just kept silent until the person who triggered this spoke first and i responded with "O.K" Then i remained silent until it was time for me to leave when I informed him of what I was leaving not finished. Some people are so hard to relax around.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.