Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am new and would appreciate some advice

Hi my name is Dani and ive joined this forum today.

I'm not entirely sure why yet, perhaps for advice or to feel I'm not alone (have felt isolated a very long time) or maybe to somehow gain strength from other people's experiences, I don't know it's probably all of the above.....

My depression keeps returning and this time round I want to know why despite past medication and counselling. I don't want this boomerang. I started to do abit of research and can very much relate to much of what I've read on complex PTSD.

I'm tired of putting a bandaid on my illness and want to be cured not just manage the symptoms. I know there is no kwick fix and things might get worse first but I really can't carry on in the same vein anymore. It's ruining my life and those around me.

I will find the appropriate forum and post something there more about me. Just wanted to introduce myself and wish others good vibes on their recovery journey

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hi Dani,

Welcome to the forum! I also suffer from PTSD and yes, it can be quite the annoyance. I've been in trauma therapy for almost 9 years and only after getting the right therapist have I been able to move toward recovery. I answered your EMDR question, but don't take that as that being the case for you. I had a bad experience with two therapists before the trauma therapist and they screwed me up further. If you find the right therapist who is specialized in working in trauma, then there is definitely hope for learning coping strategies.

What PTSD does sometimes is get us in a cycle of running, freezing or fighting when stressed. So even if the situation just mimics a past trauma, we react on the same intensity level. I know for myself, I was/still am in some instances stuck in a trauma cycle. Certain triggers will put me back at age 2; helpless, terrified, and frozen. Therapy helped me understand that I now have power to react in a different way, even though my body still has the physical symptoms. I'm literally having to teach my mind to take over my body because my body remembers the trauma as though it's still happening.

Anyway, enough of the lecture. Sorry.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find lots of support here.

Cindy
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum, Dani!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hi hi hi Dani

well I think people find some togetherness here if not solutions

have you been formally diagnosed?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey Dani, welcome to the forum!

I think you will find what you're looking for here, the people here understand and give good advice when you need it
    Take care x

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Hi, Dani90!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.