I attended a Celebrate Recovery program for 3 years. It's a structured 12 step program where people talk about their struggles with hurts, habits and hangups. The beauty of the program though is that no one is allowed to fix anyone or debate with them. People go around the room and say their name, and then state what they are struggling with. It's sort of like the What's bothering you thread, but this one helps you put into words your everyday struggles. I found that just stating what I was working on, helped me see both my downfalls and successes.
The rules of the group (and this thread) are simple
- Keep your sharing focused on your own thoughts and feelings (in other words, it's a thread about what you are thinking and feeling rather than a thread to blame others for your problems.)
- No cross-talk (that means you can't quote a post nor answer someone)
- No fixing others (see above)
- No inappropriate language (that was Celebrate Recovery's rules but I think the forum has those rules also)
- Stick to the time limit (we don't have to worry about that one)
The reason for the rules is to provide a safe place to be honest with yourself. Often times we share only what we expect will be accepted by others. We might hesitate to talk about what's really a struggle for fear that someone will come along and give their opinion on the subject.
So please everybody stick to the rules. The beauty of this thread is that we may really need someone to hear us but not give advice or rescue us.