nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't think it ever even improves...

Let alone disappears. Reading here and everywhere else online as well as in real life I've noticed something; nobody ever has a real success story when it comes to recovering from crippling anxiety. The closest thing to a success story usually consists of someone blathering on about how much better they are, then proceeding to discuss all the ridiculous coping mechanisms they have to use every second of their life just to function at all. It really never gets better to the point where it's worthwhile, it's always a bleak, awful struggle with no hope of relief or certainly not happiness.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I used to be afraid of people. Period. I'd run rather than talk to anyone.

I used to also panic for days before speaking in front of people. I'd sweat, try to back out and generally wish I were dead. Many times I would just cancel which isn't good because speaking in front of people is part of my job. Why the heck I got jobs over the years that put me in front of people, I'll never know.

Through those ridiculous coping mechanisms which I depended on everyday, I lessened my fears.

I now speak on live radio and get up in front of hundreds of people in state conferences.

It's success. But I don't understand what the difference is between your definition of "blathering on about how much better they are" and success. Isn't success the end result of getting better in some way with some form of a way to do it?

There's no magic number. There's no waking up and the world is peachy keen. And there is definitely no situation where someone will fall out of the sky and make your life better.

It takes work. And only if you're willing to work: 1) get help if you have a strong emotional thing like depression or severe crippling anxiety; 2) keep talking to others so as to not isolate; 3) accept that it's a process and not an instant cure; 4) and be willing to help yourself also rather on others to solely fix you.

I'm sorry you're depressed (I saw your little blue guy). I hope you are able to find some bright spots in your day today.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    As someone who works in the mental health field and has had and experiences difficulty in my own way. Recovery is a journey, it is not an end result. Recovery includes ups and downs, but it involves learning, developing and discovering ways of getting through life in a way that you feel better about yourself. Recovery is your responsibility, it is not easy, you need will power and you need to want to do it.

It has improved for me, it is not over, nor do I believe it will never be cover. I have developed coping methods that get me through the day and they work for me. I use my coping methods every day and they are not seen as chores, they get easier and a part of life - I don't have to think twice about many of them any more.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Las air said it best. I know I am new here but I am not new to anxiety and panic. It took a conscious decision that I did want to live my life afraid of everything and then some really hard work to learn the skills I needed to handle my diagnosis. I have had periods of debilitating panic and periods of no panic. The best way I describe it to friends and family is to compare it to diabetes - I will always have it but if I take care of myself, take the right medicines when I need them, & get medical (psychiatric) care on a regular basis my disease stays managed. and as long as it's managed, I can live the life I want to with some accommodations. If I don't take care of me and don't take the right mess when I meed them and don't go see my therapist when things start to spiral its miserable. I will face huge anxiety when I make changes in my life I will never be like a person who lives with a normal amount of anxiety, a reasonable flight or fight response system, or someone with the right amount of brain chemicals so brain doesn't trick my body into thinking I am going to drop dead at random times. It sucks but that is me. As mean and harsh sounding as it sounds, anxiety and panic will take up as much space in your life as you let them. You can live some semblance of the life you want but only if you decide to fight for it every day, until one day fighting is second nature like las air said. Good luck!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a recovery from crippling anxiety. Could not make any friends, handle a criticism, carry on a regular conversation, find a date, let alone say "hi" to anyone...

The road to a social recovery starts with realizing that you need support (which you did by joining this board), having the desire to improve, practicing social situations gradually as your confidence increase each time. As my self esteem would pick up from practicing socialization, I then realize that learning, rejection, and criticism is a normal part of life. We're not perfect, but also have our strengths to make for that.

My first source of help was a university counselor. Even though the only way she told me how to get over social fear was to face it head-on, I certainly don't regret going down that path. It was well worth it. Facing that fear is one of my best life achievements and gives me the will everything that I succeed at anything that I commit to doing. Improving socially is still an ongoing process, and I try to have fun with it along the way as I welcome anybody that wants to help or give advice.

I started off just saying hi or speaking to random people, then that grew into giving introductions, then making friends and getting to know their interests. There may be a select few group of people of your choice that may interests to your liking and you grow closer to them. Growing close to people, you find out more about their character, and that's how I met my best friend (now girl friend).

We all have the same hurdle to overcome on this forum, and we can all help each other succeed, together
    “When you stop blaming others for where you are in life, that is when you can start to manifest your dream life!”
    ― Stephen Richards

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks, but I can't stand reading this anymore. It's way too difficult and I have no faith in ever having a tolerable life, so I'm giving up.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh don't be a quitter, I think most of us just come to terms with the fact that we will always be a bit different. I've always thought that other people have some "gift" or talent that I don't have. Most likely they do. Anyway just accept and forgive yourself for not being perfect. You will fail, I will fail, we all do, but don't forget that sometimes we don't. Are you still greeting random people on your walk? I've been making more of an effort to be friendlier.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    Oh don't be a quitter, I think most of us just come to terms with the fact that we will always be a bit different. I've always thought that other people have some "gift" or talent that I don't have. Most likely they do. Anyway just accept and forgive yourself for not being perfect. You will fail, I will fail, we all do, but don't forget that sometimes we don't. Are you still greeting random people on your walk? I've been making more of an effort to be friendlier.
    I can't come to terms with it, nor can I forgive myself. It's not as easy as just telling myself and I honestly can't figure it out. I haven't gone on a walk in a long time, I don't feel like it. I don't feel like doing anything but medicating myself until I'm unconscious, so that will be the remainder of my life now.

Congratulations on making that effort to be friendlier, I hope it goes well.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.